Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ADRIEN ENGLISH

Go down 
+10
DEW
sabby
Dragonlady
showmethelove
b4v
gracious-plenty
Greencat
2shay
FaeLadyFaye
Doppleganger
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I finished The Hell You Say. Wow.

First of all, I LOVE the title.

star The Hell You Say star

I kept thinking Jake would do something to redeem himself but noooooo. He just kept rising to the top of my literary shit list. And then that scene near the end when he pushed Adrien over. Jake rose to the top of the list after that. (And I thought Outlander's Jamie had a pretty solid spot at the top during my reading of Outlander...but I think Jake even topped that. *ducking*)
How sad was it when Adrien told his hairstylist about his breakup with Jake? There was nobody else for him to go to. Sad At least the stylist gave him some sympathy. Poor guy needed a little fussing over.

This one mislead me, I thought Savant or his writing partner were behind the murders. Wrong!!
The relationships were really the focus of the book for me though. I have to admit I paid a whole lot less attention to the mystery in this one and a whole lot more to Adrien's relationship with his mother, new family, Jake (grrrr), and that Guy...guy.

I kinda like Adrien's new stepfather and stepsisters. The girls are pretty shallow, but I liked the way they immediately got defensive of him when the police showed up at the bookstore. Even if it their idea of defending Adrien was asking if they should call Daddy for help. smile The way Emma is so amused with Adrien is a hoot. And Bill seems ok, although that little chat with Adrien about his 'alternative lifestyle' was awkward. The guy's heart seemed to be in the right place, I guess I'll see how that works out. Hopefully Adrien will be able to let himself be comfortable around them. He's sadly lacking any support structure in his life.

Guy is interesting, I'm not sure how much I like him. But I like the attention he's showing Adrien, and hope it distracts Adrien away from his obsession with Jake. I know Jake is coming back in one of the next books (I've seen your siggys!!!). But for now, I'm thinking Good Riddance! :evil:

Last edited by Doppleganger on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting typos. Ugh.)
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm not a fan of Guy. I also wonder if he pronounces his name with a French accent, making is sound like Ghee.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Yes we should delete our siggys so as not to give clues... But dammit I love those lines! I actually quite liked Guy as affected as he is - he really cares about Adrien which is what I want smile I love Lisa and his new family!
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Omg you crass thing.
Roflmao
Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Crass is kind of rude I think too
Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 6:04 am

Finished The Hell You Say. Man, I really want to smack Jake upside the head! Adrien deserves so much more than Jake is willing to give him. Yet I also feel really sorry for Jake, who's so obviously struggling to be something he's not instead of accepting who he is. But society being what it is, acceptance of his sexuality would also mean being forced to give up important hopes and dreams he has of having a family and being seen as a man (especially in his workplace) and the fact that he can't even tell his family, I'm guessing they're probably unlikely to be very supportive. He hates himself and is trying so hard to be someone else, but living like that never ends well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks xx and check your pm Wink
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 am

But, at the same time b4v, Jake gave Adrien more than he ever gave anyone else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 am

You are right Fae and probably all he is able to give Sad
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 am

Oh, definitely, FLF. He's given Adrien his heart... he's just not willing to admit that to himself (yet, I'm hoping, since I have another 2 books to go!) That's why I care enough about him to feel so sad for his struggles with himself. He deserves more than he's giving himself as well as Adrien, but he can't see that. I think he was into the s/m scene because he feels that it's wrong to be gay and he hates that he is and that side of him deserves punishment.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 am

It is sad how much he hates himself.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:06 am

http://alexbeecroft.wordpress.com/2008/01/16/jake-riordan-from-the-adrien-english-mysteries/

Read that one first, only after book 3!

http://alexbeecroft.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/adrien-english-interviewed-by-josh-lanyon/

This one second, also after book 3.

Don't cheat and read them early or you will spoiler yourself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 am

you are right b4v i also think the s/m is just him doing what he kind of thinks he deserves - dirty sex. not always bad - but the way he said to adrien he has healthy relationships with the males in his life - dad, bros and partner... not queers Sad so sad Sad
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:19 am

yeah, IMO he's using the s/m thing as punishment (even though I'm assuming he tops), not as sex play. Sad that he feels being gay is a dirty thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 am

very sad Sad the part where he is in hospital and asks partner to tell Adrien, but not for him to visit made me cry big time when Adrien went.. see i hate Kate much like i hate Layla - oh you dont know Layla yet... another series, BDB - anyway Kate has done no wrong apart from being there!
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 am

Yeah, she's just as much a victim as Adrien and Jake in the whole mess. You would think after seeing first hand the fiasco of trying to pretend and drag someone else along with Rob and his ex, Tara, that Jake would be a bit smarter about doing that to Kate. Especially if he genuinely loves her.
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 am

Can I read those two extras from FLF's links after The Hell You Say? Or is it after Death Of A Pirate King?
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:35 am

Well, does he genuinely love her or is he just using her?

After The Hell You Say.
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks FLF. I think he loves her to some degree, but he's trying to force it into a romantic love, so he's using her as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:40 am

i think he likes her and respects her - but he is just following the rules as he sees it to get what he should get out of life - wife, kids, family unit. on his 40th when he really opened up to adrien about where he thought he would be at 40, and A says flippantly well i am not having your baby! it just broke my heart that he could get to 40 and still not embrace who he is and not try to measure up to what he thought he should be Sad
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:41 am

That sounds likely, b4v.
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 am

Exactly, Swede. He's trying to push himself into the expected mold, and if he didn't, then he would miss out on being a Dad. That scene was really powerful, and when Adrien realised how his flippant remark was so painful to Jake.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:49 am

Awww, my post disappeared. Sad dang bberry!

Read back a little b4v, I jsut finished THYS too. I'm much less forgiving of Jake than you are!

I know Jake is dominant with Adrien, but since he sees gay sex as punishment I suspect he's a submissive at the S&M club.
That's my question of the hour. Is Jake a dom or a sub?
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 am

I think he is a dom. Isn't that talked about in Fatal Shadows?
Back to top Go down
b4v

b4v

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 am

yep, he's dom. All about the control, is our Jake! I think he projects onto others what he thinks he deserves himself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADRIEN ENGLISH   ADRIEN ENGLISH - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ADRIEN ENGLISH
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ARCHIVES-
Jump to: