Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2

Go down 
+8
Greencat
caligrl
sabby
FaeLadyFaye
Doppleganger
uapeople
2shay
Barbara
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
2shay

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

It is a BIG book.....! And totally worth the time. heart

ETA: Just pre-ordered Shadow of Night. Deborah Harkness is a professor of history at the University of Southern California. She specializes in the history of medicine and has won too many awards for me to name here. I knew the history in this book seemed authentic. Really looking forward to book two, and haven't finished book 1 yet! I haven't been this captivated since Outlander. Both are so historically accurate that they are a joy to read.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm on chapter 5 now and enjoying myself. I'm glad I wanted to read a good one. I'm sure over time I'll want to read some really awful ones to balance it out. LOL
Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm going to go through this one probably rather slow, I haven't even read any of the new releases this year, I keep getting sidetracked. Isn't it a big ass book? Oh well lucky there is 29 days this month then isn't it. be right back smile
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Shoot I forgot we were reading this. It's for the whole month right? smile
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Whole month, I think. I wish I had taken the whole month to read it...shoot..! Gonna be through waaayyyy too soon.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 pm

I was quite impressed with Deborah Harkness when she gave her talk. She teaches Western Civilization, but her area of research is the history of science from ~1400's to 1660. She stops at 1660 because she failed calculus and doesn't care to study it's history either. LOL I'll bet her students love her.

Anyhoo, she really has researched at Oxford's Bodleian library, and really has found a previously "lost" book among it's stacks. Just to get back at a few historical figures who were notorious witch hunters, she gave their names to a couple witches in her book. (I forget which characters! Sorry.) But the title itself is a little jab at a book called The Discovery of Witches, which is a witch-hunting guide written in the 1600's.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

I can't think of witch hunters without thinking of the witch smeller from Black Adder. Totally hilarious yet not at all germane to the conversation.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:38 am

star A Discovery Of Witches star

Finished..... star star star star star heart

Five stars and a heart....! I loved this book. Dopple has said before that she thinks her IQ goes up a couple of points when she reads Diana Gabaldon. Well....Deborah Harkness makes me feel the same way. This story is SMART! One of the best tales of modern societal problems woven into a compelling tale of witches, vampires, demons and humans. There is so much to talk about! Michael is doing genetic research based on mitochondrial DNA, a subject that comes up frequently on history and science channels. I have seen several programs about the seven "Eves" who are the mothers of us all. I thinks its interesting that mothers can be traced back so far and fathers can't. That says a lot, but I'm not sure what. The demons only have one chromosome different from humans, but they are the most artistic of all the creatures on Earth....Is she making a point with that? And, of course, marriage across species is obvious. There are two gay couples in the story. Hmmmmm.....This book is a brilliant commentary on modern society. Wonderful.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:37 pm

And I'm done. That was good! When's the next one?
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Fae....July 10th, I think. I know it is available for pre-order.
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Yeah, but it's only the second in a trilogy. That sucks. They had better consumate their damn marriage in the second book!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Or as Dopple would say, get on with the boinking..!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, dammit, I want some boinking!

Matthew better be one fantastic lay after putting Diana off so much. Like magic vibrating penis fantastic.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 am

roflmao Magic vibrating penis...! Or..like Barrons.......
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 am

Rehv would be my pick of the penis-meisters still :-) but my name IS Barb
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

coffee Having coffee and just snorted a bit onto my iPad screen.....Barb.
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I'll start this week. We have an entire month to read and discuss right?

Barb, I love that barb too Wink You don't need magic for a vibrating penis BTW. Just batteries smile
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Right. I am going to listen to the book.... Do we need an audibook thread??
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:00 pm

No. That's a good idea though. I do have a credit at Audible cheers
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 pm

That's what Diana needs! - BOB! Screw Matthew! Or don't. Whatever.

I can't wait for you two to start this book. excited
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:42 pm

So I came over here to peek at the thread and I see this... roflmao

Doppleganger wrote:
Yes, dammit, I want some boinking!

Matthew better be one fantastic lay after putting Diana off so much. Like magic vibrating penis fantastic.

Back to top Go down
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Dopple have we mentioned how much we heart your posts. Starbrites how far through are you?
I'm going to start after Third Grave.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:08 pm

I haven't started it yet. Probably not till next week. I have a few other books I'd like to get to before I start this one. I went looking for it today and Walmart had it but I priced checked and it's Cheaper for kindle. Going to look at a few more places. I want to start getting the best deals I can on books. Sense I read so many I need to start looking for good prices. Saving dollars can get me more books. smile
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Starbrites - in my rejig of my kindle I found I had 2 copies of Forest of Corpses and the 2nd book in the LA Heat series, both books by PA Brown. If you want them just holler... Or pm me your email smile
Back to top Go down
sabby

sabby

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Yeah I haven't started either Starbites, I'm also trying to be as thrifty as possible so I'm picking it up at the library tomorrow; but probably wont get to it in another couple of days!! Plus I'm pretty sure u read a lot faster than I do, very happy this is u Doppleganger vs. me loo hhhmmm yeah not a good match!! Suspect
But I'm looking forward to the potential of "magic vibrating penis'" !!!! pray cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovery of Witches - PBC#2   Discovery of Witches - PBC#2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discovery of Witches - PBC#2
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ARCHIVES-
Jump to: