Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name your Literary Poison ....

Go down 
+9
ferdy
calimama
Starbrites
uapeople
showmethelove
sabby
2shay
Doppleganger
gracious-plenty
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm

I've read the first four of those books. It's very much not a feel good series, but I do love them. Sirantha grows up significantly as the series progresses.
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks for the warning Fae. Hi
Oh no! Does this mean she's going to off a character? I'm not looking forward to that.
I just finished the second book last night. I have to admit I was completely surprised to see who Mr. Jewel was. Did you see it coming? I suspected it was someone from her past, but I wasn't even close to who it turned out to be.
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 am

I read the first Sirantha Jax book. It was pretty good. I have to be in the mood for Scifi. Lots of detailed world building and technical terms to keep up with. I did like this book and have the rest of the series waiting to be read. Poor little unread books Sad
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:58 am

I still haven't read the most recent release in the series, so I don't know if she kills any of the main characters. Personally, I thought all the emotional stuff Sirantha and March experience was pretty intense and it's not a happy series, even though I like it.

I don't remember if I suspected who Mr. Jewel would be. I read them almost three years ago. I seem to remember suspecting something along those lines, but still being a bit shocked.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I read Ready Player One a couple weeks ago - this has been my hands down favorite book so far this year. It's scifi set in the future, but it's full of 1980's pop culture references - so much FUN!
I've been jonesing to rent War Games and Real Genius ever since I've read it. Wonder if there's an old Gallaga machine around here anywhere...
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Dopple, Ready Player One sounds interesting. I'm putting it on my list. I love a good 80's pop reference.

Fae, I just finished the 3rd book, Doubleblind. This one was definitely dark and heavy with all of March's post war demons. I liked this book and as much as I want to jump into the next one, I'm going to make myself take a break and read something completely different.

I would pick up Ready Player One, but I think I need a break from SciFi. I was thinking about Stacia Kane's new Downside Ghosts book, but I'm afraid it's probably a bit dark as well. Anyone reading Chasing Magic?
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

I haven't read Chasing Magic yet, but I did pick up the short story, Home and loved it. You'll be getting the knowledge on when I pick up Chasing Magic. When I read Stacia Kane, I ain't can resist the urge to post in Downspeak, dig?

I did pick up Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire. I'm only about 10% and it's already one of the funniest books I've ever read. Right up there with Ethan Day and Darynda Jones.
I've read Feed, Seanan McGuire's horror-genre zombie book written under the pen name Mira Grant, and it was completely different but also very good. I can see why she uses different pen names for the two, and I'm impressed she pulls both off so well.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 am

Finished Discount Armageddon - it was funny as hell!

I still don't know how the title 'Discount Armageddon' works for the story, kept waiting for it to be used in the book or for something to jump out at me. It never did. Despite what you might think from the title this is not some apocolyptic or dystopian book - it's a comedic urban fantasy, with a little added smexy to keep things interesting.

A couple of my favorite quotes:

"I said no. Gravity is not a toy." (This one is brilliant - I'm going to use it at home on my kids AND at work!)

"A proper lady should be able to smile pretty, wear sequins like she means it, and kick a man's ass nine ways from Sunday while wearing stiletto heals. If she can't do that much, she's not trying hard enough."
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:46 am

Fae, I hope you get this. I finished the 5th Sirantha Jax novel a few days ago and I think it was one of the better books of the series. I don't think it's as dark as some of the books and I'm guessing that the next one will be the last. Let me know if you read it, so we can discuss.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 7:12 pm

So I recently came across a book called Consequences. I read the blurb and decided to give it a shot.

Consequences by Aleatha Romig

Goodreads blurb---

Besieged by memories of a brutal abduction, Claire Nichols wakes in an unfamiliar bedroom, within a luxurious mansion. Her recollections have one common denominator, the man she just met, Anthony Rawlings. Unbeknownst to Claire, for a very long time, she has been within Anthony’s sights. Many of the pivotal events in her life occurred, due to his sinister manipulation. Every action has a consequence, and his actions result in their chance meeting.
More than a psychological thriller, Consequences is a vivid story of one woman’s struggle to survive incomprehensible circumstances. Every aspect of her being suddenly depends upon the tall, wealthy, dark haired, dark eyed businessman. Anthony Rawlings is known to the world as prosperous, benevolent, and kind. Claire quickly learns that he can also be a menacing controlling captor. With few options but concession, Claire attempts to earn her freedom, while enduring a hellish existence that truly appears perfect. Persevering tests and trials, she struggles to retain her pure Midwest values and beliefs. Encouraged by memories of a loving upbringing, she gains strength in the simplest of joys: solitude in nature and good in the face of evil. His goal in sight, Anthony’s calculated agenda encounters an unforeseen detour. He becomes captivated by Claire’s beauty, resilience, and determination. The interaction of these two compelling characters instigates strong emotions: fear, anger, love, and lust. Claire and Anthony’s tumultuous journey flows into uncharted waters of intrigue and passion.
Utilizing vivid detail, this 167,000-word novel unfolds like a movie, before the eyes of its readers. From the opening criminal abduction, through twists and turns, to the unlikely romantic thrills, the suspense climaxes as Anthony’s motivation becomes evident.
Anthony and Claire must decide if they will stay true to one another, or allow preceding actions to result in justifiable Consequences.

Yes, this book is a Mind F*ck and full of alot of other things and thankfully most of those things happen off page but when it comes done to it the book was really good. After I finished the first I moved onto the 2nd book and once again brilliant. It's like Stockholm Syndrome at its finest. It's a huge rollercoaster ride of a book. If you can handle it, I say check it out.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

You are the second person to tell me about this book, Starbrites.
I'm a little scared of the intensity tho. it\'s so horrible
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

It's not light hearted reading thats for sure but the author did an amazing job. Not that what happens is all that fantastic but just how the whole thing comes together. I have defiantly not read the like thats for sure.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm

"not read the like". Now I'm intrigued.

I read the third Jaci Burton Play by Play book, Taking a Shot. I just can't resist the covers. drool
I loved it, even though by the third book the formula is getting a little obvious. It's a quick read, gets to my emotion junky side, and ooooh the smexy. Have I mentioned that these books have A LOT of sex? And in, um, unconventional locations? Let's just say Tyler is a hockey player and....brrrrrr. smile
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 1:29 pm

A lot of times when i'm reading a book I can see everything, feel everything, almost like I am right there and personally know each character. Unless the author sucks of course but this book almost played out like I was watching a lifetime trama/drama movie. It flowed and how it came together was different but in a good way.

I really need to read Jaci Burton. It's on my tbr list.
Back to top Go down
planetcheese

planetcheese

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Dopple, I loved the ice scene in Taking a Shot. in love
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Hockey players must have really good balance. drool
And next time somebody calls 'corner pocket' or says something about the 'rack' while playing pool, I might just giggle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name your Literary Poison ....
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4