Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Name your Literary Poison ....

Go down 
+9
ferdy
calimama
Starbrites
uapeople
showmethelove
sabby
2shay
Doppleganger
gracious-plenty
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Barbara

Barbara

Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 3:42 pm

it does sound intriguing for sure
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:52 pm

More on Fifty Shades....

I just finished book 2, Fifty Shades Darker. I will say this. Any of you who decide to read Fifty Shades Of Grey....don't stop! Darker is so good. So good. Including some fairly kinky sex. Ana's inner voices that make me smile. And....I want to change my vote for the sexiest red head in the world. Christian Grey....all day and all night long. Talk about a guy that can make your heart beat faster! OMFG!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 am

star Fifty Shades Trilogy star

I'm back! Finished the trilogy over the weekend. I am completely exhausted. What a ride. You guys have simply GOT to read this. One of those.....don't stop! kind of reads. I can't say much. This might be the easiest story to spoil I have ever read. I take back what I said about not recommending this to anyone. I would recommend this to EVERYONE! The deal is, you can't go it alone. One of my facebook friends pm'd with me constantly through this book. I felt like a sub, having to be talked into getting to the next level. no idea

A few things. This whole story is totally from Ana's pov. And.......the best way to describe the story would be simply to tell you to think of the most intense emotional reads. Sort of like Jeff and Evan's seduction of Dan into a relationship he wasn't comfortable with. Well, think of a totally inexperienced young woman being seduced into a D/s relationship by the most beautiful, compelling, brilliant and powerful and experienced Dom you can imagine. Holy Shit! Ana will turn you inside out with her longing for this man. And I totally understood. Christian Grey is something else.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 am

Just a little "more"......

The hype about this book is right. If any of you caught one of the early shows in the last couple of weeks (I don't remember which one because I don't normally watch them), one of the guys had taken the book home to do a quick "scan" before they did the on camera review. The rest of the crew was teasing him that they had to actually take the book...first one, Fifty Shades Of Grey....away from him to get him on camera. That was what pushed me over the line; to read it. They asked him if he would recommend the book. His reply? "I don't know. I'm not sure I should have read it, but I can't stop." According to the rest of that show, practically everyone (I think, really, EVERYONE) on that show were planning on reading it. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 am

I'm going to have to read this one. Thanks, Shay air kiss
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 am

Now I'm confused!! It's hard to resist something that shouldn't be read, but once started can't be put down! Then again....humph.
I may have more time on my hands in the next few days than I know what to do with....maybe curiousity will get the better of me!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 am

Dopple---The first book nearly did me in. It it weren't for Tonya, I don't think I would have ever finished. It is really.....shit.....I don't even know what to call it. I was told that some of the hardcore BDSM writers call it "mom BDSM". I can tell you that the only other BDSM book I read made me have histerics. This one didn't do that. I think Ana's innocence was the difference. If you get into a problem, pm me or email. You have my cell phone number....text me! This book needs almost constant re-inforcement to get through. I think everyone who tried this book and quit needed someone to help talk them through.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

LOL, I'm definitely intrigued! I think I'll read a few comedies first though.

I started Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson. It's a riot!

I'm still working through Stacia Kane's Sacrificial Magic, and it's really good. I'm not in the right mood for it though, so I'm shelving it for a bit. It's not you, Chess. It's me. Sad
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Have you read Dani's book yet Dopp? Shattered Glass? it really is sooooooo good!! and funny!! it may just be the perfect book for you right now! And of course Dani is Delightful too twirling
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Shattered Glass is great! Always a good recommendation, Swede. Peter Cotton.....tail.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of Shattered Glass. confused That might be just the thing!
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Poor Sinklair.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:42 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/50-shades-grey-women-turned-sexual-submission/story?id=16059118

An article about 50 Shades Of Grey from ABC as they get ready for this morning's interview with E.L. James. It isn't a very flattering article and give more information about the story than I would have divulged. It is probably accurate, though.

Full disclosure: I don't give a shit what they say in this article. I loved this story. I will admit that I didn't always like some of the writing, but I dealt with it for the story.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 am

I finished Undead and Unwed last night. Absolutely hysterical! It was my local bookclub's April selection, so I started highlighting funny lines in it for our discussion. I quit doing that after the first few chapters because I was highlighting EVERYTHING. I'll have to pick up more MaryJanice Davidson.

I don't think I said anything here about the Vampires in America series by D.B. Reynolds. Amazon kept insisting I'd like them and a goodreads friend was enjoying them so read the first one (Raphael), and then went straight to the second (Jabril). This is another book with PI human heroine and a vampire lord hero, but I loved it. What it lacked in originality it made up for by being addictively written. The relationship between Cynthia and Raphael reminded me a lot of Cat and Bones.

On to Shattered Glass! twirling I just opened it to the first chapter, and it's titled 'Fucking Bunny Slippers'. I already love it. I have no clue what it's about yet, but it has the best opening chapter title I've ever read. And I pay attention to that stuff - great chapter titles is one of the things I love about Faith Hunter, Darynda Jones and Gail Carriger.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

You will love Shattered Glass...!
Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Yep
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down
Barbara

Barbara

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Not me Sad not yet......
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:56 pm

There is one thing in this last article that I disagree with. Strongly. But since I 'm the only one reading it? Oh, well.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 pm

I went to book club tonight, and our conversation about Undead and Unwed was completely overshadowed by a discussion about Fifty Shades of Grey. I'm beyond intrigued now. You're right Shay, everyone who reads this book seems to be crazy itchy to discuss it. The effect this book has on people is nuts!

Two of my bookclub members are BDSM lifestylers (well maybe not "lifestylers", but they incredibly familiar and well informed). We're all anxiously awaiting what they have to say about the book. They did read the contract in it and said that was realistic. So, there ya go. The contract is the real deal....jury is still out on the rest.
It was one hell of a conversation, let me tell ya. My bookclub ROCKS. happy dance
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 8:17 am

Dopple--I have three different discussion threads going about FSOG. It is an almost endless source of interesting talk. I am already on the 2nd book in a reread. Can't get out of the story.

ETA: As far as being well informed about the lifestyle, there is an amazing amount of information on the internet. Not really difficult to get well informed if you are interested enough to look. Ahem......I have been looking quite a lot in the last few days. The hardcore stuff still makes me queezy.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 am

I really enjoyed the first book in the Terry Spears wolf series. Reminded me slightly of Keri Arthur or even Patricia Briggs WITH smexy. drool On to the second.
Back to top Go down
DEW

DEW

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Haven't been intrigued enough to read 50 Shades of Grey yet. Lots of buzz. Maybe eventually. I don't want to buy it. Library it, okay. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I DID just read Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire and I really enjoyed it. It was a fun, quick read. I'm not sure if it would be everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely got some new and unusual stuff in it. I like that about Seanan McGuire. It was a lighter read than say her October Daye series which seems to have many more layers to it. Bothseries have interesting characters that I want to see more of everytime I put down whichever one of her books I'm reading at the time. And that's always a good thing.

Anyway... look it up... read the blurb. Some of you may find it piques your interest.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I liked her October Daye series so I'll add that to the list. Thanks DEW
Now loving the second in the Terry Spears wolf bundle and they just mentioned that the characters in the first are distant cousins so I do see some building up of things. I may even like this better than her Highland series...ok I really did say that didn't I...I reserve the right to reread and change my mind though. werewolf
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 pm

I just finished a book called Grimspace by Ann Aguirre. I think it's probably more Science Fiction than anything else, with a bit of romance. It was a nice change from my normal fare for me. It is the first of a series of 6 books. I'm not sure if that is the entire series or if more will be added. Regardless, I liked this first book. It reminded me a bit of star wars with all of the space travel and different worlds with different beings on them. I think the author could have spent more time developing the relationship between the two main characters. It seemed to come together a bit suddenly for me, but I hear the books get better as the series goes along. I'm not 100% certain, but it seemed as if this book was written as a stand alone and then probably picked up as a series because everything comes together so well at the end.
So, I would recommend this book as an interesting Science Fiction story with a kick ass female protagonist and enough of a love story to keep me reading late into the night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name your Literary Poison ....   Name your Literary Poison .... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Name your Literary Poison ....
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next