Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who do you like that is up & coming ???

Go down 
+4
sabby
Doppleganger
Starbrites
gracious-plenty
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm

star Shadow of Night -- ~35% star

I started enjoying the book a whole bunch more when they left The Old Lodge. And then once they got to Sept-Tours, the awesomeness that is Philippe came to the book's rescue. Matthew's dad is such a hero! I loved that he called Matthew out, and *ahem* in his way forced the issue.

The last chapter of Part I confused me. I had to check my Kindle to make sure I was still reading Shadow of Night. It does tie in with Diana's book, but it's hard to figure out at first. I'm curious to see of Diana's book starts filling in, during the present time, as the story progresses and Diana makes more entries in the past.
That is really hard to explain.....I tried my best. Honest I did.

I really liked the last chapter of Part II when Ysebeu (or however the hell her crazy name is spelled) found the letter from Phillippe. I'm hoping that something is done to change Philippe's fate.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:09 am

Doppleganger wrote:
Another book I recently splurged on: Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson.
Faith Hunter has been gushing on FB about this book for months, so when it finally released I couldn't resist. (Very weak!) Faith doesn't make book recommendations often, and the last time I followed one of her recommends I was glad I did. She was right about Thieftaker too!

Ethan Kaille is a thieftaker in 1760's Boston, making his living as a colonial type of Private Investigator recovering stolen items and solving crimes. It's also a poorly kept secret that he's a conjurer (witch), and he's constantly dodging the threat of being publicly exposed and hung. I liked is that his spells are limited, so instead of using spellcasting as a Deux Ex Machina it is more like a cleverly used tool. Jackson has a degree in history, and uses the civil unrest over the stamp tax as the backdrop with a meticulous detail that reminded me of Diana Gabaldon.

I felt like Diana Gabaldon and Jim Butcher had gotten together and had a book baby.

Anyway, it was released in Hardcover so it's pricier than I would normally buy or recommend. But Jackson does have a free prequel short story here:
A Spell of Vengeance

I loved the book except for the really sad part. I really hated that. I didn't know there was a prequel. gonna have to read that.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 am

star Thieftaker star

The sad part: That was hard for me to read too. I did appreciate that Ethan was so affected by what he had done - I think it was the only time in the book that he cries. Sad But damn.

I really hope that he marries Kannice. She's a tough, capable woman, but I still felt bad for her over the way Ethan strings her along. It's the 1700's - their relationship can only be considered her being loose and Ethan taking advantage.
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Shadow of Night star star star Big Spoilers

I finished the book last night. I liked this one so much more than the first. I'm thinking about going back and reading the first again because there was so much that I forgot. I don't remember Emily dying in the first book. Was that in there or was there a short story I missed?

Well, I wasn't surprised that Kit was out to get Diana, but I was surprised that Luisa was also trying to kill her. I hope that's the first and only time we have to meet Luisa. She's crazy! I loved Philippe and Gallowglass. I hope Diana is able to fulfill her promise and be there for Philippe somehow.

I hope we get to hear about Annie and Jack in the 3rd book. I hope Father Hubbard makes another appearance and he turns out to be a good guy. He seems good to me, but a little creepy.

I liked Matthew and Diana's relationship so much more in this book. Who knew they had to go back in time to find equality in their relationship?

bounce So, who else has finished? Let's discuss. Hi
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:06 pm

star SON star

She didn't die in the first book. I was under the impression that she died in the 2nd book while she was trying to save the baby. I can't remember the couples name. I think there must have been some kind of fight and she was trying to protect the baby but the book really never said. Maybe we will find out in the next one.

I hated Kit! He really ticked me off. I don't think there was a moment when I acctually liked him. Luisa was insane!!! She really has the madness bad. I hope we don't see her anymore but I can't remember is she even alive in the Future?

Philippe and Gallowglass and little Jack were my favorite side characters. I thought it was awesome that Gallowglass had been watching Diana all her life. How he seemed so proud watching her graduate. That was pretty sweet. Jack was so full of piss and vinegar. smile I wish for more about him and Annie too.

I am a bit concerned about Diana giving Hubbard her blood because he now knows her real name and everything.

Yes, they finally got the marriage/relationship on track and twins!!!! That is going to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:23 pm

star SON ~75% star

LOVED the vampire romance novel discussion between Matthew and Diana. roflmao

I know Rudolf's gifts annoy Matthew to no end, but I think they are funny as hell. Even better is Jack's reactions to them. The nekkid Diana statue that rolls around - 'Is she cold?'. OMG! My favorite gift is Lobero the dog - the wolfhunter! The kids are so in love with it, Matthew hates it, and Diana thought it was a mop. roflmao Too funny!
I admit I like how these gifts are turning Matthew into such a jealous wreck. It's pretty easy to crank Matthew up. Too bad he's a dangerous vampire, because I can see a lot of fun to be had in needling him. It's all fun and games until somebody gets exsanguinated.

Speaking of Jack. heart I adore him! I'm worried about what will happen to him when/if Matthew and Diana return to the present day. Annie too, even though she's much older, she's still connected to that creepy Father vampire in London.

Does anyone else have a child that reads the Magic Treehouse books? I've read several of them to my kiddos, and I'm getting flashbacks from SON because of Jack and Annie. Not only the same names, but the time traveling, the use of books, etc. I keep expecting Jack to pull an encyclopedia out of a backpack and tell Annie how to navigate Prague.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm

That was a super funny coversation they had Dopple! I have read almost all of the Magic Treehouse books to my kid. I love them. Probably more than my kid did. smile
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I loved that conversation - especially the *ahem* ending of it. ;-)
There is so much to discuss in this book! I can get bogged down with all the details, but I'm still enjoying it.

star Shadow of Night star

I read a bit during lunch, and Diana had just declared that it was time to go back. I'm so worried about Jack and Annie!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Finished Shadow of Night - LOVE!! I'm glad it was a long novel, because that allowed me to really get immersed in the 1590's.

I loved this book, but I hate that I'm left hanging on what happened to Emily and what became of Jack. I'm glad we got a glimpse of Annie after Matthew and Diana's return to the present. But I want to know about Jack, dammit!
And what happened to Em? Sad All we know is that she died to save Sophie's baby. I'm not satisfied with that tiny bit of info. I want details!!!!

Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 am

star SON star

I hate that we have to wait to find out what happened to Emily. Sad

I wonder if we will even get anymore details about Jack and Annie or even Hubbard. I would think that she would have to give us more in the 3rd book because obviously they changed the past and she would have to show us that.

I had hoped that with all the things that they changed they would be able to in some way save Philippe but I don't think that's going to happen. I really liked him.

This is going to be a trilogy right? If so she has a lot to deal with before she can end it. We have to wait a whole year for the next?
Back to top Go down
calimama

calimama

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm rereading/skimming through A Discovery of Witches. There was so much that I forgot. I'm glad that I reminded myself who some of important side characters are in the present. I forgot how charming Marcus was in the first book and I couldn't remember Sophie and Nathaniel's characters at all. If anyone needs reminding... Sophie and Nathaniel are demons. Nathaniel's mom is in the covenant (or whatever it's called). Sophie is a demon born to witch parents and their baby is inexplicably a witch.

star SON star

I was so confused by what happened to Emily. Thanks for clarifying that for me Starbrites. I guess we'll get that story in the next book. I liked SON so much better than A Discovery of Witches. Dopple, I'm glad it was a long book too. It didn't feel too long and I liked all of the different settings.

Another thing that I was reminded of when I took another look at Discovery of Witches was that it was Diana's father that put a spell on Ashmole 782 when he took one of his timewalking trips, so that Diana would be the only one able to recall the book from the Oxford library.

Deborah Harkness has a lot to wrap up in book three. Can't wait. smile
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Finished Walking Shadows by Aussie author Narrelle Harris. I love this woman's writing! Her style reminds me of Charlaine Harris and Patricia Briggs, easy flowing writing style with an MC that is likeable and feels real. Narrelle's mythology is completely unlike anything else I've read - when a person is turned into a vampire their brain stagnates and they have a hard time picking up new things. It's like a disability, and it makes immortality anything but glamorous or desirable.
Walking Shadows is book 2, The Opposite of Life is book 1. Both are urban fantasy (not romance!) and I can't recommend them enough. heart Just ignore the bizarre covers.
You can read the first 6 chapters of The Opposite of Life at Narrelle's website:
http://www.narrellemharris.com/books/the-opposite-of-life/

It was Diana's father! OMG, I didn't remember that at all. That makes his appearance so much more substantial. There were probably all kinds of little hints and clues that I missed.

You're right, cali, there is a ton of stuff to wrap up in the next book. I wonder how many pages long it will be?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you like that is up & coming ???   Who do you like that is up & coming ??? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who do you like that is up & coming ???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2