Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SearchHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Best and the Worst of '11

Go down 
+8
ferdy
uapeople
2shay
Greencat
gracious-plenty
Doppleganger
Starbrites
FaeLadyFaye
12 posters

The Best and Worst of '11
Iron Crossed Richelle Mead
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap13%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Hard Bitten Chloe Neill
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap21%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 21% [ 5 ]
Dead Reckoning Charlaine Harris
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap8%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Shadowfever KM Moning
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap21%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 21% [ 5 ]
Pale Demon Kim Harrison
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap29%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 29% [ 7 ]
GhosTV Jordan Castillo Price
The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap8%The Best and the Worst of '11 I_vote_lcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

The Best and the Worst of '11 Empty
PostSubject: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:42 am

Every year we wait "patiently" for the new releases in our favorite series waiting to see what's in store for our "friends" in their world. In several instances I was amazed at what I read. Some of the amazement was in wonder and the continuation of a fantastic story told with craftsmanship, skill, and pathos. The rest of the amazement was rage at what had to be the STUPIDEST choice that author could make in terms of that story, honestly, do they think the reader is dumb? That was before I came to the conclusion that I paid good money for the book.

You have TWO CHOICES.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 am

Fae you are a genius! This is a perfect poll and I will go ahead and be the first to name my 2 biggest F-ups this year.. Mead and Neill for me.. As far as I am concerned those two books could have been handled way differently.. Just my opinion...
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am

My biggest disappointments weren't on the poll, so I voted for 2 of my favorites. cheers
I've also discovered some new authors this year that I love love love:
Kevin Hearne
John G. Hartness
Darynda Jones
I found plenty of other established authors that are new to me in 2011 too - it's been a great year of reading!

My decision to skip the Chicagoland Vampire series is based on all the bad reviews the last 2 books have gotten. (Doesn't help that the ebooks are overpriced, imo.)
I also couldn't get excited enough about Dead Reckoning to pick it up because I didn't enjoy Dead in the Family. I heard DR is good, but I have no motivation to read it. Sad to see a series I love peter out. Sad
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 am

I agree that Dead In The Family seemed to be where the Sookie series went wrong. I was hoping Dead Reckoning would be a book to bring the series back. I had hope. I don't think it was abysmally horrid like Iron Crossed (I'm still pissed about that) but more of a book that just fell flat.

I also love your idea of adding new series/authors you found this year, Dopp. 2011 brought me Ty & Zane by Urban&Roux and The Rifter Serial by Ginn Hale.
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:32 pm

It seems like about the time she came to dead in the family she was just getting bored of her own series but in my opinion by dead recoking she almost wrote like she didn't care anymore. I thought the characters didn't even seem like thereselves. Almost like they have swapped personalities. But in the end I still read it and I will read it till the last book as I will with the Authors who piss me off cause I have this OCD about having to know whats going to happen next.. Just call me looney toones! smile

There were some great Authors introduced to me this year. I would have to say my top list would be Karen Marie Moning, Darynda Jones and JR Ward! I know 2 of them have been around for a few years but not to me. I loved there stories to the point I could reread them over and over and never be bored.

I was just really disappointed in Neill with what went down and as much as I love Meads Succubus series having IC go so crazy just pissed me off..
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi all Hi

Great poll FLF excited

I went with my fav of the year which was Pale Demon, and then one I thought was the worst which was Hard Bitten. If I could have had a combo choice of HB and DD by CN, then that would have been more fitting IMO.

Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
Greencat

Greencat

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Well honestly I find it a hard choice for the worst IC, HB and even sad to say DR where all in the same league when it came to disappointing. Like Jen I will continue to the read the series, hey I have come this far with them and still hope they will comeback. With Sookie thou I'd have to agree I think CH is over the series, but only two bad books to go if that is the case. Rolling Eyes Fever is my favourite, but I have not got the other two brilliant series yet.
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Two of the WORST BOOKS EVER....HB and DR! Yuck...awful.
Back to top Go down
uapeople

uapeople

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 6:23 pm

I chose favorites too...
Back to top Go down
FaeLadyFaye
FaeLadyFaye

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

2shay wrote:
Two of the WORST BOOKS EVER....HB and DR! Yuck...awful.

Tell us how you really feel, Shay. LOL
Back to top Go down
Starbrites

Starbrites

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 pm

roflmao Shay! Maybe will get super dooper lucky and CH next book out in may wont suck.. It could happen. Maybe!
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 pm

thinking You guys can read it first and let me know.
Back to top Go down
ferdy

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

Dead Reckoning, Iron Crossed and Drink Deep were some of the worst reads for me this yr..

The best I think have been Magic Slays, Shadowfever, Dead on the Delta, Magic on the Line, Pale Demon, If I Die, Clockwork Prince and Hunt the Moon.. it's been a pretty good year for books for me.

I'm looking forward to Before I wake (Rachel Vincent), Blood on the Bayou (Stacey Jay), A Perfect Blood (Kim Harrison), Iced (KMM), Magic Without Mercy (Devon Monk), Gunmetal Magic (Ilona Andrews) and Fury's Kiss (Karen Chance)... I cant wait!!
Back to top Go down
2shay

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 am

There have been good books this year. Darynda Jones and CL Parker wrote some really good stuff. Loved Shadowfever even though it didn't really give me the resolution I wanted. Manny and Payne's book was pretty good....didn't rock my world the way LM did. I think Chlow Neill has lost me for good, so has CH. I am just done with them. They are going over to the LKH file...done.

And then I read The Scottish Prisoner. THE BEST book of the year, IMO. Totally in a class by itself.

Josh had one book I loved..CUTYS, and one that was a little disappointing..Dead Run. Ty and Zane are always good and the last book was no exception.

There were a lot of books and series that I enjoyed. Found ZA Maxfield. Found Laura Harner. Found Rachel Vincent....Shifters rocked! Found Pamela Clare....I-Team is special! Others, too. Lots of good reading.

THE SCOTTISH PRISONER.....my pick for best book of the year. Everything else is way down the list.
Back to top Go down
Doppleganger
Admin
Doppleganger

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 am

Scottish Prisoner was exceptional. If the Goodreads Choice voting hadn't started before it released, it would have cleaned house.
Back to top Go down
girlwhowaited

girlwhowaited

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:04 pm

I chose GhosTV as my favourite book because well, I dearly loved it, and I haven't read any of the other books, so can't pick a "bad" favourite! Wink
JCP made such a brilliant universe with PsyCop, I love every little tidbit of it and even started naming my painkillers my Auracels! lol -- Better not call them that at the pharmacy at restock day....
Back to top Go down
gracious-plenty
Admin
gracious-plenty

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:14 pm

GAWD..I love our honesty here Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://nikkisrandommusings.blogspot.com/
2shay

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:48 pm

twirling Because we CAN be honest here! twirling
Thank you all for that!
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am

Okay. I didn't read DR so I have no opinion on it. I will finish this series. CH hasn't ruined it for me. Just writing filler books that I could do without. I won't buy the next one. I'll get it from the library and if it's awesome. I'll buy it.

My worst book of the year is IC. It was absurdly stupid. Why create this fabulous world and characters just to ruin it to fill a book???? WTF?? I don't get it. RM has lost me for good because she obviously thinks I'm too stupid to notice her characters have changed their personalities. Oh and Eugenie is now the stupidiest woman on the planet and Dorians smile I really do feel insulted! cussing

Hard Bitten. CN tried to pull a KH and failed! Ethan was CLV for me. There was no point in it. After the last book I'm not happier. The reunion scene was so LAME!!! It could have been great Sad I will be done with this series unless you guys tell me to get back to it. Uhhhggg...this is the biggest disappointment for me because I really did love this series. bye CLV

Now the good stuff............

I LOVED Pale Demon! Pure awesomeness. It surprises me since I seem to like a good amount of smut in my books and didn't miss it at all. I got a few kisses and that was good for me. This book was everything a great book should be and more. I still wish we got some more Trent and Rachel love but I think it's coming very happy

My favorite has to be Shadowfever. That series is amazing and I know I'll NEVER read anything like it again. I was okay with not getting all the answers. I read it three times that month! Barrons is my sexiest man. It was dark,sexy and fascinating. I have never dedicated as much time to thinking or talking about a series. I know we said book, but I can't seperate SF. The Fever series just feels likes one long journey heart

GhostTV was great! I know that's short but this post is long smile
Back to top Go down
showmethelove
showmethelove

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am

Since everyone else did, I want to mention some new favorites.

Josh Lanyon! I'm so happy that FLF and Swede found him for me. Thinking about AE gives me the swoony feeling everytime I think of them. It was hard sometimes but that just made it even better in the end.

Ethan Day heart The man can write some funny shit! I heart Ethan Day!

Ty and Zane are my new obsession now that AE and Fever are over. I don't know what I haven't said about them but they are my favorite couple! I'd dying to know anything and everything abuot them. yummy

So many other great reads this year. Finding the m/m genre has opened up my options and I'm loving it! smile
Back to top Go down
kimba

kimba

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 am

In this group the best for me was Pale Demon. Second is Shadow fever.

The worst to me was Hard Bitten...hated how book lacked eotion when Ethan returned,,felt it was huge letdown. The I have to say Dead Reckoning..CH is dragging series too long and not sewing up loose threads. She really doesnt seem to care and hates to be questioned,so shes tied for worst for me.

I wish Alpha was on cause that one also ended poorly.

And I agree hands down best book of year is Scittish Prisoner!
Back to top Go down
amckuen

amckuen

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I voted for my two favorites. Shadow Fever drool BARRONS is all I have to say! And Pa
le Demon , Rachel definitely kept me on my toes LOVED these two books probably my two favs yet to date
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Best and the Worst of '11   The Best and the Worst of '11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Best and the Worst of '11
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ARCHIVES-
Jump to: